Monday, January 30, 2006

 

wands and nibs in London

gillot nibsThis morning I went to an art supply store on Great Russell Street, which looked like the wand shop in Harry Potter, lined from floor to ceiling with rows and rows of mysterious black drawers labeled in gold lettering. I spent £15 on a selection of Gillot pen nibs, which I can never find in the US. Edward Gorey used Gillot nibs, a kind that he referred to as “tit quills,” but the ones I got didn’t have exotic names, just numbers. I also got a very appealing mini eraser. I have an eraser fetish.
I also went to the British Museum, which was great fun. The other museum-goers were wildly international and hardly anyone was speaking English. So if people were saying trite, annoying things, I couldn’t tell. Indeed, I was suffused with an uncharacteristic wave of philanthropic feeling. Here’s a mummified Egyptian hand, with my live hand in the foreground. life and death at the british museumAn Italian couple in black cowboy hats was kissing obstreperously in front of this exhibit, but because they were doing it in Italian, I didn’t mind. I saw the fragments of sculpture from the Parthenon that Lord Elgin ripped off from Greece in the early 19th century.elgin elbow The British Museum’s line is, at least he protected the stuff from further damage. And the pieces were so stunning that I’m inclined to agree. Here’s a close-up of a centaur’s elbow. Look at that vein over his bicep, and that crease of skin in the crook of his arm!
Comments:
Good travels, Alison. I can picture you wearing out nibs in the Reading Room at the British Museum, warming your feet on the big pipe at the scholars' feet...

I loved amazing old manuscripts -- many illuminated (!) -- on display at the British library, and the recordings of Yeats and Woolf and all reading their work.
 
I had never before considered the possibility of kissing "obstreperously". Thank you for expanding my horizons!
 
hey, those staedtler rubbers are my favourites - when i was a kid at school (in london) the big turn-on for we little girls was cool stationery. england didn't have too much in those days and we craved french and german pencils and rubbers (i know i know but that is what we call them ... still recovering from first day in rabbi school when i made a mistake and asked my neighbour for a rubber) and notebooks and felt-tip pens. to this day i still can only write properly with a fountain pen!

wish i could come to your talk ... missing london and my family there. enjoy!
 
Hey Alison

Glad to hear the trip seems to be going so well (the British Museum --I'm so envious).

Nichael

P.S.
If the Gillot nibs show up "in the strip", please be sure to point it out to us here so those of us not in the illustratorati can get an indication of what these are all about.

(P.P.S.
A small Vermont tidbit for the traveller: You'll be proud to know that both Leahy and Jeffords voted for the fillibuster and against Alito.)
 
Dear Alice. I just heard your interview in "Woman's Hour" so I went to the web looking for you work and I was shocked to find how much you borrow from that unreconstructed chauvinist Robert Crumb..A little bit of originality never hurts anyone and makes the message more honest. Try it!
 
in re "gladiator":

Um, I would never presume that D2WO4 (or any of AB's work) needed my feeble attempts at defence. So, I'll just assume it's far more effective to let the quality (and "originality") of the work speak for itself.

But, be that as it may, for those who might be interested in hearing "Alice's" interview on BBC's "Woman's Hour" (especially those of us here on the other side of The Pond), you can find it on-line here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/2006_05_wed_04.shtml

N
[in the "other" Guilford]
 
Vibram Five Fingers Sprint have been called as the most Vibram Five Fingers Classic versatile footwear that people own.Vibram Five Fingers Kso Personalized,secure fit could be reflected with adjustable hook-and-loop closures cross over the instep and surround the heel.Keep Stuff Out while still getting that wonderful barefoot feeling.The best home based alife shoes sale business to start is one that alife sneakers sale new york gives you the ability to alife sneakers for sale leverage your time. Basically, you want a cheap alife sneakers business that continues to operate alife sneakers and earn income for you even while you’re not working. cheap alife shoes sale This is key if you want to spend more time with alife everybody hi your family. Businesses that lack alife everybody low this feature end up owning you
 
I will be looking forward to your next post. Thank you
Review Canon EOS R6 บอกเล่าทุกการถ่ายภาพ
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?